Wednesday, 19 November 2014

The End of Compact Discs


This past weekend I was able to visit Vancouver and stop by my favourite record store, Zulu Records.  I am 4 weeks late in purchasing Jeanette Berkenbosch her yearly CD birthday gift, as I was unable to find any CD I like in the Chilliwack area.  I have been waiting to get to Zulu Records for weeks.  When I entered I couldn’t find the new music section.  I asked the clerk where it was and he replied, “we don’t sell new CDs anymore, nobody buys them”.    This means the top record store in BC no longer sells new CDs.   Future Shop, Wal-Mart, and Target have a very limited selection left.  Gone are the days where there are HMVs in every mall.  The only place that a folk/indie/adult alternative cd can now be purchased in person is at the local Starbucks.  Much like the rise and fall of the local video store, the CD generation has faded. 25 years of purchasing CDs, listening to Discmans, and playing CDs in the car has now shifted to buying MP3s on ITunes, listening to IPods, and using Bluetooth in vehicles.  I am hereby reporting that the demise of the compact disc is complete.  The technology is dead.   Jeanette Berkenbosch may need to settle for an ITunes gift card. 

I thought about the parallels of the rise and fall of the compact disc to education.    The compact disc was a way for the world to hear music.  Music was as popular before the compact disc as it is now, but the compact disc changed how we can hear it.  MP3s, ITunes, and digital media have both changed and enhanced how we hear music again.  Is the same not true for education?  The acquisition of knowledge and learning in general has always been the goal in education, however educational innovations and trends that come and go allow us to enhance learning and increase the ability to enable children to think critically.    The challenge for schools is to recognize when an innovation or new idea may not be new anymore.  Educators must see the new innovations that enhance learning as they come out.  We don’t want out educators to still be listening solely to Discmans when and IPod can provide so much more.    With this in mind, there is still a lot of good music that 1 can listen to on a Discman.

At Unity Christian School this year, we have had 2 professional development days that have focused on 21st Century Learning.  SCSBCs 2 learning leaders, Greg Gerber and Darren Spyksma each spent a day with our staff sharing new innovations in learning.  Greg was able to focus more on the technology end of educational innovation, giving staff web based tools to assist in good pedagogy.  Darren was able to focus on the structure of a classroom, sharing with staff opportunities for hands on and student centered learning.  Darren was able to draw from experience and provide many examples on how collaborative learning can help grow a school culture of innovative young minds.   All staff at Unity Christian School were challenged to build on their already excellent teaching in new and innovative ways.  All staff at Unity were challenged to keep their Discman but embrace the IPod.

In 1762, philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau argued that, “reading is the plague of childhood”. Rousseau’s thesis was that children under the age of 12 need to explore and experience the world themselves before reading about it.  Rousseau wrote, “Books are good only for learning about babble about what one does not know.  I am convinced that in matters of observation, one must not read, one must see”.  Rousseau recommended that books should be avoided completely until children were 12 years old, so that children could have the opportunity to explore, interact, discover, and be adventurers of the world.     Fear not, we don’t subscribe to Rousseau’s “no books” philosophy. Books are an integral part of education and this should never be lost. However, as a Christian School, we do want our students to recognize and appreciate God’s sovereignty over His beautifully created world as our students head out to explore, interact, have adventures, and discover.   In combining solid classroom instruction and the acquisition of knowledge through experience and adventure, it is our goal to help our students recognize their God-given gifts, see their calling, and enable them to join in the work of building the Kingdom of God.  

Before I retire, MP3s and IPods will be dated technology.  Some new way of accessing media, likely all cloud based, will take over.  Before I retire, research based innovations on how students will best learn will change as well.  At Unity Christian School, we want to use experts, research, and ongoing professional development to stay on the cusp of helping all students reach their God-given potential.