Sunday, 21 September 2014

Christian Schools Canada Conference 2014


   I just returned from my first ever Christian Schools Canada principal’s conference. I have attended many educators’ conferences, but I was slightly apprehensive about rubbing shoulders with some of the “superstars” in the educational world (yes we do have educational superstars, they just don’t know who they are).  I had the opportunity to sit and converse with principals from across Canada about current issues in education.  It was a rich and rewarding experience.
 
Pondering after a thought provoking presentation from James Smith
   Each day began with a devotional and worship lead by Pacific Christian School.  It was a personally moving moment for me to sing “Holy, Holy, Holy” with my administrative colleagues.  The keynote presenter, Calvin College philosophy professor, James Smith, who wrote the books Desiring the Kingdom and Imagining the Kingdom, was engaging and challenged us to consider how modern day liturgies influence how we learn and what we believe.  To be human is to love, desire, and long for something and the effect of sin is that we love the wrong thing in the wrong way.  His analogy of the shopping mall as a temple, mannequins as the missionaries, and flyers and commercials as their religious tracts was compelling.  Our educational pedagogies shape and form what students love and desire.  How we teach is just as important as what we teach.  A Christian education is to shape and influence students to love Christ and desire the establishment of His kingdom.

   Every afternoon we were able to attend a variety of workshops led by various principals, university professors, and educational leaders.  I attended four workshops:
1. Working Towards a Culturally Inclusive Model of First Nations Learning
2. Project Based Learning
3. The Future of School Libraries
4. What Principals Need to Know about Special Education
 These workshops were informative and thought provoking. 


   The conference was held at the beautiful Inn at Laurel Point in the inner harbour in Victoria, BC.   The weather was fantastic and they supplied coffee 24/7.   It was a terrific experience and I am already looking forward to reconnecting in Edmonton in 2016.