Monday, 20 October 2014

Every Superman Has His Kryptonite

A couple nights ago I had my Collaborative Leadership class at Dordt College delivered through the world wide web.  Everything was going splendidly until Prof. Vos said, "This next assignment will require you to draw".

Drawing; Van Muyen's kryptonite (along with singing, poetry writing, blogging, zip lining, exercise, high jump, and most track and field events, and many, many more).

Of course Prof. Vos quickly adds, "Don't worry class, you won't be marked on your artistic skills."

Every teacher has that line ready to use after assigning an artistic assignment.  I used it last week when I had Bible 12 students draw Ecclesiastes chapter one.  When Prof. Vos assigned drawing the Unity Christian graduate profile I was filled with doubt in my ability to adequately accomplish the task.  This feeling of reluctance is exactly what Jeanette so brilliantly described in her latest post, "Persevering Through Reluctance."

Over the past year the staff and administration at Unity Christian have been putting together the graduate profile.  Last year we had brainstorm sessions and teachers we're able to collaborate together in small groups, and using google docs, provide their feedback on the different elements of the grad profile.  We (the administration) took the feedback from staff and put together a draft and received more info from staff.  We then produced a final copy of the profile.

The core values from our grad profile are: dedicate all to God, grace, acceptable and inclusiveness, community, discernment, and challenge.   When I read the graduate profile I was struck by the enormity of the task ahead of teachers, parents, pastors, support workers, etc as we aim to develop and nurture committed followers of Christ.   I was also overwhelmed by the impossibility  of creating a visual representation of the grad profile.

Needless to say I took a reluctant plunge into the world of the visual arts; I think Michelle Van Dyk will be proud, or terribly embarrassed, probably the latter.  I started by placing a male and female student in the centre of the picture running forward.  We want students to be running the race put before them as they leave the doors of Unity Christian School.  Moreover, we clearly want students to understand that they don't run the race alone!  They are a part of the family of God and it is important that we support each other as we journey through life.  The images surrounding the two students are meant to represent the core values of the grad profile.  Can you guess what core value each bubble represents?  I can't.  Seriously, it has been a couple of weeks and I can't make out my drawings. Over the next few weeks, as our graduate profile is released to the community, I will expand on each of the different elements of the profile.

Joking aside, I am pretty pleased with my picture.  To all my Bible 12 students struggling to complete my drawing assignment - you can do it - your teacher did!


Blessings